Sciatica Relief with our Milwaukie Chiropractor
Many sciatica sufferers are surprised at how painful and mysterious this disorder can be. Sciatica is not a specific medical diagnosis, but a symptom of a health disorder. Sciatica refers to pain in the lower back and legs caused by the sciatic nerve. Pain can often interrupt daily routines and activities. Fortunately, natural therapies from our Eastside Spine & Injury chiropractor in Milwaukie, OR can bring relief.
Overview of Sciatica
The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body. It forms at nerve roots in the lower part of the spine and runs down the backside of each leg. Sciatic nerve pain occurs when it becomes irritated or compressed. The most common causes of sciatica include:
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Lumbar herniated disc
- Degenerative disc disease
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
- Isthmic spondylolisthesis
- Piriformis syndrome
Additional causes include spinal tumors, muscles strains, infections, scar tissue, pregnancy, ankylosing spondylitis, and fractures.
Typical symptoms include:
- Uninterrupted pain affecting one side of a leg or buttock but seldom both sides
- Sensations of prickling, weakness, or numbness running down a leg
- Numbness or weakness when moving a foot or leg
- Pain that worsens when sitting or standing
- Shooting or severe leg pain that makes walking or standing difficult
- Pain originating in the lower back or buttock, running down the back of a thigh, and continuing into the lower part of the leg and foot
- Searing or sharp versus dull pain
- Lower back pain, less severe than leg pain
- Pain in the toes
Sudden movement such as sneezing can intensify symptoms. Sciatic pain varies a great deal. While it incapacitates some patients, others report only sporadic irritation.
Treatment Options for Sciatic Nerve Pain
Relieving sciatic nerve pain begins with an assessment from our chiropractor. This includes a comprehensive physical exam, a review of health history, and tests if necessary. Our doctor recommends a customized treatment plan for each patient.
A chiropractic approach uses natural therapies and avoids medication or surgery. Our doctor utilizes spinal adjustment and manual manipulation to improve the alignment of the individual’s spine. Proper alignment corrects a number of disorders that cause sciatic pain.
Patients also sometimes benefit from other treatment options like massage therapy. It improves blood circulation, relaxes muscles, and releases endorphins that relieve pain. Some individuals also benefit from a physical exercise plan and lifestyle alternations.
Schedule a Consultation with Our Milwaukie Chiropractor
Are sciatica symptoms interfering with your lifestyle? Our doctor has been trained in evidence-based chiropractic and can help you reach your optimum level of wellness. Call Eastside Spine & Injury today at (503) 654-7400 to make an appointment with our Milwaukie, OR chiropractor, Dr. Brian Sims.